Visit Concrete.Com

Visit Concrete.Com | Advertising | Contact Us | Concrete Calculators

Topic Options
#8674 - 06/18/06 06:06 PM "Skimcoat" or stain outdoor concrete porch?
thefisherman Offline

Loc: huntsville AL
I want to put a decorative color finish on my exterior front porch slab. It has some small cracks and moisture may come up here at times.
I was considering a product manufactured by "Skimcoat". Does anyone have experience with
this product? Should I stick with just an acid stain?
Also, what product would be best to seal this exterior porch afterward?

#8675 - 06/18/06 07:25 PM Re: "Skimcoat" or stain outdoor concrete porch?
Rojellio Offline

Loc: Grand Junction Colorado
I have been experimenting with Smith paints For the last couple of weeks. So far, I like it.

I have been using the "dye/stain" grade. It actualy has a natural look. It is waterbase. I applied it with a damp sponge brush. Another way might be with one of those natural sponge thingies, and do a mottled two-tone or three-tone. You can also paint with it... say for example fish or some sort of mural. It also works well on sandstone.. The 4oz sample bottles are $4 each. A little goes a long way.

Acid stain is ok and all, but you really dont have much color choice except S***Tone. Plus acid, has handling precautions to include a respirator if you dont want that taste in your mouth. "Patina" is merely a fancy word to fetch a higher price for rusted metal.. or in this case concrete.

#8676 - 06/20/06 06:45 AM Re: "Skimcoat" or stain outdoor concrete porch?
thefisherman Offline

Loc: huntsville AL
Would trying to fill the cracks first be a mistake
when using this "dye/stain"...better to just let the cracks show? That was my main reason to go
with the "skim coat brand" product (to hide the cracks) but now I"m concerned that the "skimcoat" product might look too much like a complete paint job...would really like it to have the look of natural stone.

#8677 - 06/20/06 12:18 PM Re: "Skimcoat" or stain outdoor concrete porch?
Rojellio Offline

Loc: Grand Junction Colorado
I wouldnt worry about the cracks unless they are at least wide enough to wedge a dime or credit card into. You really cant wedge any sort of repair goop, or product in cracks until they are alt least that big... and if you do go about repairing them, the fix can be uglier than the porblem.. proced with caution.

As far as cracks showing.. the Skimcoat/thinset products will likely have the same cracks after a while.