Visit Concrete.Com

Visit Concrete.Com | Advertising | Contact Us | Concrete Calculators

Topic Options
#8549 - 01/16/05 06:08 AM concrete bathtub
txhsmom Offline

Loc: Texas
My husband and I are interested in designing and making a concrete bathtub, but our search on the "how-to" has turned up very little. My husband has previous experience in concrete work, but this is a little different than what he's done.

Could someone please give us some information on getting started (materials needed, how to make the form, etc). Even point us is the direction of some "how to" books...anything!

Thank you in advance.

#8550 - 01/26/05 06:29 PM Re: concrete bathtub
peter smith Offline

Loc: Niagara Falls Ont
No problem the product you want to use is tapecrete. It is a thin set concrete overlay which is much stronger than regular concrete but also bonds to wood, metal,skin, pretty well anything. We use it for manhole repairs, roofing, pools, steps.

Really all you have to do is build your form out of whatever then cover it with Tapecrete.

#8551 - 01/26/05 06:30 PM Re: concrete bathtub
peter smith Offline

Loc: Niagara Falls Ont
No problem the product you want to use is tapecrete. It is a thin set concrete overlay which is much stronger than regular concrete but also bonds to wood, metal,skin, pretty well anything. We use it for manhole repairs, roofing, pools, steps.

Really all you have to do is build your form out of whatever then cover it with Tapecrete.

#8552 - 02/11/05 04:14 PM Re: concrete bathtub
mrn2c Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Another way to make a form instead of building one from scratch is to use some sort of rubber mold compound http://www.smooth-on.com/default.htm. That way you can make it out of any shape and size that you might want want, but may be too complicated or costly to build.

I would use a lightweight mix to cut down on weight (around 125 lbs). Reinforcing is a must, especially with the curves. Pigments you can get just about anywhere.

#8553 - 10/27/05 06:39 PM Re: concrete bathtub
pvalles Offline

Loc: Lakeland ,Florida
buy the book,concrete at home from fu-tung cheng. and expert in that tipe of proyect.You will learn how to built the mold,what tipe of mix you will need,how to finish and more.

#8554 - 11/01/05 12:18 AM Re: concrete bathtub
Rojellio Offline

Loc: Grand Junction Colorado
I have both of Fu Tung's Books, they are exclent books full of ideas. There is not a bathtub specific project.. but there are lots of examples of what and how in the decorative concrete realm.

You definitly want a 5,000 psi + mix, as 5,000 psi is waterproof.

Smooth-On makes great products.. but at $45 per gallon... it gets kinda expensive for a one off project the size of a bathtub. You are probably looking at 6 - 12 gallons of rubber.

There are a couple of ways you could go about it. One is to pour the bottom first, sort of like a slab. Maybe use some texture skins for texture. (or make your own texture skin with smooth-on rubber) A salt finish might be good too. After that, pour a wall. Polypropelene sheet works great asa liner for areas where you want a polished marble/granite like finish.

The other way to go about it is to precast it in pieces that have a shiplap/groove type connection. Then caulk them together (carefully so the caulk doesnt goop out) with foundation sealant. Bostic 915 or similiar.

Precasting the whole tub as one piece.. then flipping it over, then placing it... its certainly possibly but the tub is going to be heavy.

"lightweight" mix concrete isnt all that lighter.. and for something that is supposed to hold water.. well I personaly am on board with it being as dense and heavy as possible. Hopefully this is going on a slab floor.

#8555 - 01/27/06 02:57 AM Re: concrete bathtub
Mike5150 Offline

Loc: Chicago Suburbs
I have a bathroom remodel that I'm hoping to tackle this winter, and I was planning on doing concrete for the floor and counter top. Could I use this tapcrete product to resurface my cast iron bathtub and (I belive) porceline sink? The more concrete the better!

Thanks
Mike