Visit Concrete.Com

Visit Concrete.Com | Advertising | Contact Us | Concrete Calculators

Topic Options
#8393 - 08/07/02 12:32 AM Concrete artist...
Lise Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hi! I just ran across this board and was wondering if someone could answer a few questions?
How can I learn the techniques for decorative applications of concrete? For example, how would I go about learning how they did the stone facing on Sleeping Beauty's castle at Disneyland. Did they use a form to make the exterior look like masoned stone? Or, was it all done freehand?
I know you can buy stonefacing from companies like Cultured Stone. But, it can be pretty pricey.
I love the look of stone and would like to use the same techniques extensively on the interior and exterior of my house.
I'm also wondering if there are new materials available that weigh less but give the same illusion of stone.
I hope I was clear on my description of the "look" I'm trying to achieve. I'm a stay at home Mom that has a passion for working with cement and rocks.
Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide. If you need me to clarify something or need a more detailed description of what I'd like to do, please feel free to ask.
Lise

#8394 - 08/07/02 02:41 PM Re: Concrete artist...
Buckwheat Offline

Loc: Napa, California
Lise:
There are a variety of techniques to make decorative concrete products. Since the concrete technology and engineering at Cultured Stone is one of my duties for Owens Corning, I will agree with you, they are beautiful products but are expensive to produce so therefore the retail in the marketplace is not low end.
If you have some existing masonry surfaces there are a number of stencil and color techniques to create with. For instance, Art-Crete located in Louisanna. They used to have a local rep in your area (Decorative Concrete Systems)
If you intend on creating the pieces yourself there are number of people that seem to regularly communicate here that have experience doing this. Check out the post adjacent to this one with 16 answers recorded. These fellow concrete artisis may be able to give you some valuable pointers.

#8395 - 08/07/02 04:46 PM Re: Concrete artist...
Beth Offline

Loc: Rural LA
Quote:
Originally posted by Lise:
Hi! I just ran across this board and was wondering if someone could answer a few questions?
How can I learn the techniques for decorative applications of concrete? For example, how would I go about learning how they did the stone facing on Sleeping Beauty's castle at Disneyland. Did they use a form to make the exterior look like masoned stone? Or, was it all done freehand?
I know you can buy stonefacing from companies like Cultured Stone. But, it can be pretty pricey.
I love the look of stone and would like to use the same techniques extensively on the interior and exterior of my house.
I'm also wondering if there are new materials available that weigh less but give the same illusion of stone.
I hope I was clear on my description of the "look" I'm trying to achieve. I'm a stay at home Mom that has a passion for working with cement and rocks.
Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide. If you need me to clarify something or need a more detailed description of what I'd like to do, please feel free to ask.
Lise

Hi Lise
Sounds like you've been "bitten" by the concrete bug! Concrete is a fascinating substance and has many uses in the creative arts.
I would like to know more about what you want to do specifically, but here's some ideas in the meantime. I use concrete to make stepping stones (with stained glass and other objects), castings of leaves and other stuff I like (like lichens, tree stumps, bark, etc.) for garden and other decorative uses, and hypertufa for rustic looking rocks, birdbaths, etc. I have not been doing this for years & years, so I'm learning every time I do a project, but I'm happy to share whatever I've learned with others. There are a wealth of sites out there in cyberspace with information, ideas and examples of really kool work done with concrete. If you will let me know just what you're into, I'll try to steer you in the right direction.
As for the stone faces at Disneyworld - don't have a clue, but I have seen discussions of the type of work I believe this represents, where concrete is applied over a frame, then sculpted and painted. Try the search engines. My favorites are:
http://www.dogpile.com
http://www.mamma.com
http://www.google.com
Maybe Disneyworld/land has a website where the making of their fantasy worlds is discussed...
Take a look at the posts under "concrete additives (Laura)" for more info. In the meantime, since you mentioned concrete and rocks, check out the stepping stone work at the site below. Really nice work, imho (in my humble opinion).
Good luck with your endeavors and come back here to tell us about what you're doing!
Beth

#8396 - 08/07/02 04:50 PM Re: Concrete artist...
Beth Offline

Sorry - forgot to include the link. Here 'tis:
http://www.spectrumglass.com/Library/ScoreArticles/GardenRockMosaics.html

Hope you enjoy them!

#8397 - 08/07/02 10:23 PM Re: Concrete artist...
Lise Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Thank you both for responding so quickly!

Beth- I love your stepping stones. They're beautiful! I hadn't even considered stepping stones or casting garden statues, until I started surfing the net under concrete/cement.

To help give you a better idea of what I'm trying to accomplish, you just have to think...Medieval Castle motif. I'd like the inside and outside of my house to transform into a "stone-looking" structure. I've been looking all over the web for sites that sell rigid plastic forms, like the kind you can use for walkways or a patio. However, I'm not having much luck. So, I was wondering if anyone at this site has any idea where I can find the forms or if there is a book, or video, that would teach me how to "face" my interior/ exterior walls to make them look like castle stone.
I'm the person that stands in line at Disneyland and stares at the cement work on the walls of the rides in Fantasyland; trying to figure out how the master masons accomplished the illusion of the buildings being made of cut stones.
I would also like to re-face my fireplace.(It's currently surfaced with a red brick veneer) And, I'm wondering if I would have to use a certain type of material. Are there flammable types of cement/mortars? The interior of the fireplace is in great shape. I'd just be modifying the front.
I'm sorry for any confusion my topic name has caused. I really think it takes an artist to make a plain ol' building look like a 500 year old castle.

#8398 - 08/08/02 01:23 PM Re: Concrete artist...
Beth Offline

Good Morning, Lise!
Sounds like gothic dreams to me! Check out TonyL's last post under "Concrete Additives" next door to this one. He makes faux rocks & waterfalls. I think he might be just the person to help you in your quest.
I started a new topic yesterday for all of us who are interested in concrete as art. I think it will be easier for other folks to find us there (although concrete artists was pretty darned close).
Aren't Pat's stones wonderful? I haven't been able to locate a website for her other than the feature at Spectrum. I was hoping that she had one full of the kool stuff she makes. Her design ideas are "off the beaten path," which is what makes them so appealing to me.
Let's all keep this ball rolling here and discuss our dreams, works in progress, problems, etc. so others will join in for the collective benefit of all of us. Have a "rocky" day! :p

#8399 - 08/24/02 04:55 PM Re: Concrete artist...
Beth Offline

Hi Folks,
Here's a new (to me) concrete art website that's full of information & interesting art. http://www.makersgallery.com/concrete/handbook.html
Enjoy!
Beth