Visit Concrete.Com

Visit Concrete.Com | Advertising | Contact Us | Concrete Calculators

Topic Options
#14634 - 07/09/13 11:36 PM Bad pour on patio
musicman1848 Offline

Good morning, I am new here but would appreciate any advice or information. I recently had a 25x15'x4" patio poured in my back yard. The temperature was about 98 degrees and the crew consisted of 3 people to move the concrete from front to back in wheelbarrows as well as to screed and finish. Well, needless to say, the concrete set in the first pour area before they had even finished filling the entire form. The entire surface is uneven, rough, and of course the texture stamping that was to take place was barely visible on the 3 or 4 mats they attempted before realizing it was set too hard. So in addition to a rough, uneven surface, I have partial stamps in one area. The contractor has vowed to make it right, and admitted that they didn't expect the heat to be so high and were short handed and their bull float broke. HOWEVER, he is suggesting a polymer based overlay 3/8" thick which will be stamped with the agreed texture.

My questions are:

1. Is this an acceptable fix? I thought overlays were to spruce up concrete in good condition, which this is not. Won't covering a bad job only transmit flaws through the overlay sooner rather than later?

2. Is this going to be as durable? I was paying for my stamps to be set in a 4" pad, not 3/8" on top of a pad. What is the prospect of spalling, chipping, etc?

3. The final touch to the slate texture was to be an acid stain to give it depth and natural look. Can this even be done on a polymer based overlay? I've seen a few videos and each shows colorant being added to the overlay at mix time, as well as additional colors being applied after setting. Wont these fade, peel and walk?

4. On a 25x15 patio, wouldn't SOME control joints be necessary? Or at least an expansion joint where it meets the stoop of the back door? None are present. Additionally, the pour was done without wire reinforcement. He claimed the fiber reinforcement would be sufficient for the patio. (no vehicles or heavy items)

5. Should it just be torn out and redone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated so that I may address the issue from an informed standpoint the next time we meet.

Thank you all.

#14647 - 07/13/13 11:08 PM Re: Bad pour on patio [Re: musicman1848]
Clatsop Concrete Offline

Loc: Oregon USA
wow...they butchered it...period.(would like to see a picture though) after 27 years pouring mud i dont believe i have seen this one...and i have torn out and fixed miles of my competitors shabby work....
1 -dont let them try to fix it..NOT what you are paying for..its a tear out in the real world.....the good quality world
2 -it needed at least 1 joint BUT i would have cut 3..1 length wise 2 in the other direction..
3 - were you paying for wire?? fiber-mesh is only to help keep cracks from opening up..wire helps keep it FROM cracking and heaving...not the same..call your ready mix plant and ask..
Best to use both.
and finally he should be ashamed..
the heat is a no no with slabs anyway....the ground heeds to be wet before you pour and even a mid-range water reducer i get worried about hydration and cracking at 75 degrees...and i live in NW Oregon..
sure we gamble once in a while... but we should know better as professionals what is "good" and what is "junk" and a good one will know when NOT to pour.....i watch the weather like a hawk and if he did this a little better...this might have never happened...simple
good luck.

#148487 - 03/04/16 10:04 PM Re: Bad pour on patio [Re: musicman1848]
greg Offline

Loc: New Castle, Pennsylvania
Start all over. Pour went bad. Improper control joints. Repair is a mess waiting to happen.