Visit Concrete.Com

Visit Concrete.Com | Advertising | Contact Us | Concrete Calculators

Topic Options
#14513 - 05/04/13 01:21 PM Best Concrete Demo Equipment
DFW Demo Guy Offline

I've been doing concrete demo now for 20 years. Based on my experiences in the field here's a list of my favorite equipment & why I like them so much.

Diesel Flat Saw- Husqvarna 6600 This saw is a beast & a Cadillac at the same time. There are many features to the saw that make it the best flat saw on the market. The most significant feature is the John Deere engine. It has more torque than any other diesel flat saw I've seen other than a 72 hp or 84 hp. The weight of the motor & optional 3 speed gearbox combined with the huge amount of torque keeps the blade from raising up while cutting & not bogging down. I've run every size from a 14" green blade to a 60" deep blade & it works fine with all of them with the 3 speed blade shaft gearbox. However it wasn't normal practice to cut green concrete with the 6600. It's more of a demo saw & a bit heavy for green concrete. I've done it but don't recommend it. The drive system is absolutely beautiful. There's no chain just a direct drive from two hydraulic motors attached to each rear wheel. There's absolutely no slack in the drive system so when your blade grabs it doesn't jerk your saw forward because of slack in the drive chain or gears. No more back & forth all day with the drive handle just a nice smooth forward motion. I like the hydraulic tracking adjustment. It's quick & easy you can adjust on the fly but even without it it's really easy to adjust tracking on them. I actually preferred the Target & Dimas models over the Husqvarna. I hate to bash Husqvarna but I don't like the LED tach & gauges & I absolutely hate the push button electric throttle control. There's a terrible delay in the system that causes you to have to push the button over & over then hope you don't go higher than you wanted. Usually you have to go past your target RPM then come back down its very frustrating. But overall it still out cuts any other 60 hp saw on the market.

Diesel Deep Flat Saw- Husqvarna 8400 This saw feels like your behind a locomotive!! Every time I run an 8400 I feel like I wanna beat my fists against my chest & grunt like a giant gorilla. This machine is designed to be operated by men with hair on their chest only!! It's pretty much like the 6600 but a bit longer with an 84 hp diesel. It will lift a 72" blade out of the concrete. I've ran an 84" blade on one with a modified shaft extended about 18" in front of the saw. I think we had 4 tractor weights holding the rear of the saw down lol. It was at DFW Airport in the summer time. The motor did try to overheat on us at first so we directed some of the water from the blade to spray thru the radiator & the problem was solved. The only time I've ever had overheating problems with the 8400 was while spinning the 84" blade. I ran 60s & 72s in the summer & never had a problem. If your looking to buy one be sure to check on the arbor & pulley sizes. If you order it without the 3 speed gear box it comes with a 9" arbor & 8" pulley. That's way too big you have to run a bigger blade to get your depth. Get a 6" arbor & 5" pulleys. You will have to be careful with the belts a bit but with 16 banded belts it'll be fine. We used this set up at two different companies & it worked great but you must get banded belts. Individual belts aren't strong enough. When you start this saw with a 72"blade on it sit on the handle. The motor automatically revs to 2200 RPMs every start up then drops to around 700 RPMs. When the RPMs drop to 700 it causes a downward pull on the front of the saw that will make it tip forward if there's no rear weight on it. You don't need much I only weigh about 170lbs & I have no problems. It's not a lot of pull on the front just barely enough to tip it. Other than that I've had no problems with them & they performed better than the core cut & meco 72 hp diesel. In my experiences I've seen a lot more problems with the Deutz 72 hp diesels than the John Deere 66 or 84 hp diesels.

Core Drill- Meco 4 speed 110 volt I absolutely love this drill. Unfortunately Meco isn't in business anymore so the next best thing is the DTI 4 speed 110 volt. The DTI is a great core drill. I only preferred the Mecos because of the 150 RPM low gear on the Meco. The DTI. Is either 200 or 250 RPMs. The rest of the gears are the same on Meco & DTI 450 RPM 650 RPM & 1400 RPM if I'm not mistaken. They're both 3 hp motors. Both of their carriages are built like a tank. They work great once they're set to a particular post they never wear out & get slack in them or have to be readjusted. You buy it set it grease it 2 or 3 times a year & never have a problem with it. Carriages with brass shims or delron rollers are crap. There's no bearings so they wear getting slack & constantly have to be adjusted & replaced. One thing about these drills is they require a heavy gauge cord to run them. It's best to use a 12 gauge wire for under 100' runs & 10 gauge for longer runs otherwise you'll trip breakers & burn up the armature. I've cored a 20" sewer tap almost 2' thick with a DTI 110 volt & it did just fine. Just anchor some unistrut or 2X4s under the bit. I've used Hilti, Target, Husqvarna, Dimas, Milwaukee, Cardi, Weka, & DTI is the best available core drill on the market by far. Both performance wise & reliability.

Hand Held Core Drill- Weka The weka hand drill is just built like a tank. It's very tough & reliable. It has levels on it for horizontal or vertical drilling. To my knowledge they still don't have a clutch in them so when your drilling in low gear better hold on with both hands. I've also used the Husqvarna & it's also a good hand drill but I've had problems with them leaking gear oil. I'd say both perform equally. The Husqvarna is a little lighter & the Weka is more heavily constructed & stronger.

Wall Saw- Pentruder 30hp high cycle 480 This saw is a great set up. Very powerful motor but I must say there are still a few wall saw models I haven't operated yet. I haven't used a Hilti or Husqvarna wall saw so I can't comment or speculate on who's the best. But I will say that I prefer the Pentruder over the DTI 25 hp high cycle. Obviously I prefer high cycle saws over hydraulic because, I'm an operator & don't particularly like standing in raining down slurry. I like the remote smile I also don't particularly like being 6" away from a 54" blade spinning at 1500 to 2000 RPMs. I'm not a wuss I've done it...I just don't prefer it lol. Safety first right? I saw an arm go bad on a Husqvarna hydraulic unit with a 42" blade on it. Something inside the arm broke & it let the blade spin the arm around. It was a vertical cut so the blade jumped up out of the cut & swung around & landed 5 or 6" from the operator still spinning. If it had been a bottom flush cut on the floor he could have been badly injured. That's why I like the Pentruder. Another reason is the boot set up. You can swing your track without loosening your anchors. If you pop lines & position your boots right on the wall you can swing the track very easily by loosening one bolt. I didn't really like the track design. The drive gears are turned on their side so you can easily clean them with a wire brush like you can the DTI & Husqvarna. I had to go thru each tooth with a screwdriver to clean the slurry out of the gear teeth & there's twice as many teeth because they have 2 gears on each track. As far as performance they cut really well. It has a lot of power it's very lightweight. I think the motor weighs about 27 lbs. The price is around $50,000 depending on which tracks & boots you get.

Electric Jackhammer/Chipping Guns- Hilti As far as electric jackhammers go there's nothing out there that even comes close to the Hilti. I'm not really a big fan of a lot of their products but the best electric jackhammers, chipping guns, & rotor hammers are all Hilti. They have the best performance of any of these types of equipment that's out there. I've tried them all.

Gas Hand Saw- Stihl or Husqvarna I like both but I have to lean more towards the Stihl. They seem to be a bit better built in my opinion & have less problems. Both perform great but I'd give reliability to Stihl.

Electric Hand Saw- Danmar or Bosch I like these two the best as far as electric hand saws go because they don't kick off & on like the Husqvarna when you push on them. Sure they pop breakers just like all electric hand saws. That's just a given. Until contractors can get us more than a 20 amp breaker there's no stopping that. Your best bet is to only run it on a single heavy gauge cord. 12 AWG or bigger.

#14531 - 05/12/13 06:01 AM Re: Best Concrete Demo Equipment [Re: DFW Demo Guy]
DFW Demo Guy Offline

If your thinking about buying a Hilti core drill they're ok but don't buy one with the quick disconnect for the bit. They get slack in them & wobble. This is a very common problem with them. I've seen it happen many times on many drills getting as much as 3/4" of movement at the bottom of the bit. It really makes it a pain when trying to start a bit on a wall or stand on base without anchoring or a vacuum base because you can't put your feet around the bit to hold it steady. I've seen the DD 200 with a solid threaded shaft. So if your going with Hilti make sure you get a solid threaded shaft. Other than that I've had no problems with their drills. Not a bad core drill but I still prefer the DTI.

#14532 - 05/12/13 06:12 AM Re: Best Concrete Demo Equipment [Re: DFW Demo Guy]
DFW Demo Guy Offline

I'm sorry guys I was incorrect about the Weka hand drill. I hadn't used it in a while & was going off of something another operator told me about them not having a clutch. They do have a clutch I noticed last week when I locked the bit up in low gear the motor did still spin a little. Sorry for the incorrect info.

#14574 - 06/05/13 05:07 AM Re: Best Concrete Demo Equipment [Re: DFW Demo Guy]
Hwnry Jordan Offline

Weka doesn't have hand drill! And you're saying you didn't know this earlier! Man you made me laugh. Anyways, I have heard its reviews and most people say that it is not comfortable to work with. So, I won't recommend it.

Moderator:  Admin