Visit Concrete.Com

Visit Concrete.Com | Advertising | Contact Us | Concrete Calculators

Topic Options
#12731 - 08/13/08 01:43 PM Are these tests really accurate?
reality Offline

Hi guys,

I found this article by Howard Kanare (who apparently is an extremely well-known expert) about concrete moisture, and it seems to say CaCl testing isn't accurate like I would normally assume, and it began qualitative, and migrated to quantitative with no scientific backing.

Here's Howard's Moisture Measurement Article.

Is this for real?!? I've been researching it, and I can't find anything that would prove it wrong, but it just seems, well, revolutionary.

Do you guys know anything about this?

Thanks.

Edited by reality (08/13/08 01:45 PM)

#12893 - 09/12/08 07:23 PM Re: Are these tests really accurate? [Re: reality]
reality Offline

Anybody?

#12906 - 09/15/08 09:57 PM Re: Are these tests really accurate? [Re: reality]
reality Offline

This seems to be a very slow forum. Is anybody out there?

#12926 - 09/18/08 09:06 PM Re: Are these tests really accurate? [Re: reality]
CR2 Offline

Loc: New York
It's not a slow forum, the thing is that not too many people have the time to worry about this issue,most of the OPs are either concrete pros or DYS and are not familiar with the topic,I think is a subject more for behind the desk guys than for field guys, my example, I've been doing floors for a long time,8ft below the ground(basements),sometimes with water uzzing through the block mortar joints, on $100s and $1000000s houses and I've never seen anybody showing up to do a moisture test, got it?
The question is not if the tests are accurate and important, but to whom , you might be looking for answers in the wrong forum

#14175 - 03/13/10 04:59 AM Re: Are these tests really accurate? [Re: reality]
PatMkcr Offline

I think that this is very subjective and in the eyes of the beholder. Its a little biy like looking into the clouds. 2 different people will tell you that they see completely differnt things.

When it comes to moisture, detectors are alright but I've seen them emit high readings in buildings where the atmospheric humidty was extremly low, where the walls were above ground and well protected, yet the moisture meter level was high.

You have to do a physical examination lookibg for moisture or water stains, visible mold or mildew, insect problems or other staining.

A surface mold test helps to because mold needs moisture to grow. If the mold count is low, that's a good indicator that the material moisture level is also low.

#14337 - 05/15/10 06:08 PM Re: Are these tests really accurate? [Re: PatMkcr]
concretecost Offline

Really nice article what part are you having trouble believing?

#14455 - 03/20/13 09:57 PM Re: Are these tests really accurate? [Re: ]
CharlesGary Offline

I've been doing floors for a long time,8ft below the ground(basements),sometimes with water uzzing through the block mortar joints.

#148499 - 04/10/16 11:50 AM Re: Are these tests really accurate? [Re: CharlesGary]
swalker Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
The article is revolutionary indeed. I believe I've read it a long time ago but I can't remember where. Good thing I found it here as I'm doing a bit of research about it as well.