Visit Concrete.Com

Visit Concrete.Com | Advertising | Contact Us | Concrete Calculators

Topic Options
#10454 - 11/01/06 06:20 PM COLOR DIFFERENCE IN DRIVEWAY
CATWOMAN Offline

My husband and I recently had a new concrete driveway poured at our new home. Per the contractor, the concrete was delivered in three different loads, all from the same company. As the concrete cured, we noticed stark differences in the color of the concrete. Now our driveway is three distinctively different shades of gray! We have an expensive new house with an UGLY driveway! The contractor met us last evening and offered no acceptable explanation for this. To make a long story short, we don't know whether he screwed up in his process, or if the concrete company is at fault. My husband has a call in to the owner of the contracted company. If he cannot help us, we're going to the concrete company and inquire about their mix. Does anyone know what might have caused this drastic difference in color?

#10456 - 11/01/06 06:22 PM Re: COLOR DIFFERENCE IN DRIVEWAY [Re: CATWOMAN]
CATWOMAN Offline

Marlene in Ohio

#10462 - 11/02/06 12:59 AM Re: COLOR DIFFERENCE IN DRIVEWAY [Re: CATWOMAN]
Rahns Offline

Loc: Nazareth Pa
You need to find out what the consistancy (slump) of the concrete was when it was placed. It sounds as though one possibility may be that the three loads were wetter or stiffer than the others. Adding water will dilute the color as well as the strength. Was the color added at the plant or was it added on the job? Colored conrete needs to be placed by an expierenced contractor who has prior knowledge of what can go wrong. Hopefully you've done your homework when selecting a contractor. Price should'nt be the only determining factor.

#10467 - 11/03/06 02:00 AM Re: COLOR DIFFERENCE IN DRIVEWAY [Re: Rahns]
Rahns Offline

Loc: Nazareth Pa
Something else I forgot to mention, curing the concrete is probably the most overlooked part of the job that I see. A lack of curing can cause the concrete to set at different rates. This also has an effect on blotchy color. A simple spraying of a curing compound can make a huge difference.

#10471 - 11/04/06 12:51 AM Re: COLOR DIFFERENCE IN DRIVEWAY [Re: Rahns]
Rojellio Offline

Loc: Grand Junction Colorado
Originally Posted By: Rahns
You need to find out what the consistancy (slump) of the concrete was when it was placed.

I am not going to guess on this one. I can (nearly) state as fact that the contractor did not check the slump. If the contractor DID use the esoteric tool, and recorded the measurement.. the contractor would have provided this information as part of the explanation of what went wrong or not.

Catwomen would have asked about the esoteric "slump cone" tool, and what the heck kind of unit of measurement a "slump" is.

#10477 - 11/07/06 07:19 PM Re: COLOR DIFFERENCE IN DRIVEWAY [Re: Rojellio]
Sam K Offline

Loc: St Louis, Mo.
When a refrigerator or an automobile rolls off the assembly line, we have come to expect that "Navajo White" will look almost exactly like it did in the brochure. The paints used on these appliances are sprayed with man-made acrylic and epoxy plastic paints under the utmost control.

That entire situation changes when you buy materials made from nature. Any experienced designer will tell the woes of trying to match fabric that has come from one dye lot to another. The same color variance occurs in the manufacturing of concrete.

Concrete is made entirely of natural materials. The basic components of concrete water, sand, stone, and cement which all come from nature. All four of these materials are constantly varying.
If you look closely at a pile of rocks, you will note the wide range of color from rock to rock and even within each rock. Sand varies from a jet black to a brilliant white and every color in-between imaginable. Each truckload of material, even from the same quarry, will vary greatly in its mineralogy and composition to include small amounts of natural impurities. Even cement wrapped in neat packages varies in color from batch to batch.

Working with natural materials is an art, not a science. It is that very art that helps make concrete the beautiful, warm material that it is.

And if that dosen't help just ask your contractor about MiraKote.

Edited by Sam K (11/07/06 07:20 PM)

#10507 - 11/22/06 08:03 PM Re: COLOR DIFFERENCE IN DRIVEWAY [Re: CATWOMAN]
Joeey Offline

If You go look at every concrete driveway within a mile of Your Home ,You will not find one that looks the same!Reason is that there are too many variables when in use of concrete.Yes too much water can change color a little,slump,heat,humidity,cooler in evenings,lets not forget cure time,curing compounds,that concrete guys or gals do not apply properly.cheap is the way most go!Do not sweat ,in a couple years You will not even remember the original color anyway.But there are ways to match to one uniform color for years to come..

Edited by Joeey (11/22/06 09:48 PM)